Since our poodle needed anti-seizure meds, we also learned how to give a dog a pill. Quite young, I knew how to slip one of the small white tablets to the back of our dog’s throat, then to massage her throat until she swallowed. Of course, if there was also a bit of ham, all the better, since she had a particular affection for ham (documented elsewhere).*
In my parents’ house we had a cabinet for all medications, vitamins, and aspirins. It could be that our house was incredibly noisy with eight kids and a dog, but once, when one of my sisters had her boyfriend visiting, the boyfriend developed a sudden raging headache.
“Wait here, I’ll get you an aspirin,” offered my lovely sister, her long black hair trailing over her shoulders like a silk cape.
She came back in a rush with a pill and a glass of water. Her beau took it and suggested that they “kick off.” They left the house in his snazzy red car.
Thank goodness there is a stop sign at the end of our street, because that is where the pill kicked in. My sister’s boyfriend slumped to the right of the steering wheel. My sister, quick thinker, turned the car off and started to laugh nervously.
You can guess what error she had made. Fortunately the effects were not lasting or severe.
*http://www.keepmaryoutofthekitchen.com/blog/archives/04-2015/2. April, 2015 blogs