I admit, I was tired, and anxious for some of that good chutney. I hurried. I definitely miscalculated. The ginger chunks were big enough to cover the tops of my molars; the teaspoon of ground red pepper was more like a tablespoon. I stirred and let the mixture firm up before sampling.
My lips burned and my stomach seethed, but I kept on munching the ginger – it was way too expensive to just throw it all out.
I searched the internet and called my oldest brother, expert in all things, to confirm that no one has ever died of ginger over-dose.
I am slowly working my way through the chutney, mouthing out the excess ginger, and really appreciating the cranberries, when I get any.
…and again…part II
It’s one thing to almost poison yourself and quite another to almost poison your family, and worse still, your children’s friends. My daughter had made an egg noodle with chopped beef and tomato sauce in her middle school home and careers class. I had seen the recipe at some point but the only ingredient I remembered was, “medium-sized egg noodles.”
A nice detail but not very helpful when preparing the dish. The noodles were to be cooked in the sauce – I think – and since my daughter had a friend over who doesn’t eat beef, I made her a separate pan of meatless egg noodles in sauce.
I have never said it before and I doubt I will ever say it again, but as I served dinner I shook my finger and said, “Now eat it all up!”
My children openly defied me.
“This is awful!”
My husband nodded quietly in agreement, winced, and motioned to his gut.
But the friends? They obliged and cleaned their plates.
They amazing thing is both lived and both came back to our house, and they both prefer it when my husband cooks dinner.